Friday, March 29, 2013

A Cake...with Fruit Cocktail!? YES!

Fruit Cocktail Cake  


This recipe is one of my grandma's hand written recipes. It is her own recipe and also according to her is my aunt Donna's favorite cake. So naturally if it's my aunt Donna's favorite cake I HAD to make it. And wow! I see why that is! This is one of the moistest cakes I have ever made. And there is NO butter or oil in the recipe! You have to love old fashion recipes. I never knew that a can of fruit cocktail could taste so good.

The Original Recipe



Fruit Cocktail Cake 

Ingredients

2 eggs divided
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
1 can of fruit cocktail
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans

In a large mixing bowl beat together sugar and 2 egg yolks. In separate bowl mix together flour and baking soda. Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with fruit cocktail. Mix until blended. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cake mixture. Spread into a greased 9x13 cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar and pecans on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.

Frosting

1 Cup of sugar
1 Cup of evaporated milk
1 stick of butter

Cook all ingredients on stove top until thickened. Spread over warm cake. Eat and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment